Whenever I See Girls and Boys…

I’m trying to beat my own deadline of posting at least one entry during the Christmas Holidays, thus this. Tomorrow, my family’s going out of town to celebrate the annual family gathering of my wife’s and be back to the city on the 26th yet, back to my cubicled playground. It’s around 11PM as of this writing and I intend to finish this entry as quickly as I can. I still could hear a neighbor’s videoke machines enslaved since this morning yet and I see no reprieve of it any moment soon. I couldn’t even recognize what is being sung anymore as it seems that the microphone has already had its share of alcoholic drinks. Oh well, if only it was not Christmas, police sirens would have already replaced those ear-bleeding rendition of “My Way”.

Fireworks are beginning to build up as we near 12 midnight. Having attended an early edition of the supposed midnight mass in our community, I seen quite a lot of teens and even kids lighting up firecrackers using their bare hands on my way to and from the community chapel. I just hope those kids could still count 1 to 10 using their fingers tomorrow. The sky’s already busy with colorful fireworks, though some are identifiably Cebu made, some are definitely the more expensive type.

Simply, I should say that today’s Christmas celebration is turning out to be the “as expected” Filipino way of Christmas. As expected, it is this time of the year that we all forget our little differences and for the time, patch up and be merry with each other. Both old and young wears on happy and jolly faces ready to greet, even people we’ve seen in our neighborhood for the first time, a merry Christmas. But all the most Filipino way of celebrating Christmas is seeing houses brighten up as homes, with family from all over the country and even from different corners of the world gather around the dining table and share not just food but most importantly, good tidings. Every Christmas, families share not only material gifts but symbolically, families through these gifts tell one another that they shall always be with each other no matter what each one will go through. It is because of these promises we renew every year, with the people we hold dear that makes Christmas always a joy to celebrate.

Here’s wishing you and your families a Blessed and Merry Christmas.

0 comments: