Running down my veins

I have mentioned on a prior post that I have been married for two years already. I likewise have indicated that I have a 1-year old son. My father is of Chinese descent. In fact, my grandfather, Angkong, came to the Philippines via small boats which were the only mode of transportation if one came from China. So that makes me the third generation Chinese immigrant in our family tree.

But my family has long been Filipinos, both on paper and in lifestyle. My grandfather having been married to a Filipina, have long lived and adopted the Filipino way of life. Though from time to time we call each other by the Chinese way of calling a family member as a sign of respect such as Angkong for grandfather, Anya (eldest son), Atche (eldest daughter), Sho-te (youngest brother) and many others, we have so little of the Chinese tradition left in our family. Our family does not anymore practice the use of Chinese speaking in the household, which is still very common in a lot of Filipino-Chinese families. I don't even speak Chinese anymore, not only because of choice but because I don’t know anymore.

Though I was able to attend Chinese school in kindergarten, which my mom told me that I did quite well at speaking and writing Chinese, but that was all it. I don't anymore have Chinese words remembered, except counting down from 1 up to 10. Being 25% Chinese, there are only three words I will never ever forget as this identifies me of my paternal ancestry. These three words are the only left that I know by heart and could even write them down in Chinese characters - and these refers to my Chinese name. Even with the limited Chinese that I know of, I even know the meaning and the rationale behind it.

And now that I am a father myself, I plan to continue the tradition of giving a Chinese name to my son. By upholding this tradition, at least I would have maintained some semblance to our Chinese ancestry.

6 comments:

  Anonymous

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yes, but - and I'm not trying to sound overly patriotic here - it would still be better if you could teach your son Chinese. I mean, sayang naman, diba?

Chi dai nin de hwei da.

  Cyril

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

That would have been great but unfortunately, the only Chinese words I know how to speak is my Chinese name. sayang talaga. Hopefully my dad or my cousins could teach him even a bit. But I've been wanting to learn the language since, even just basic conversational Chinese, haven't just got the time to dedicate.

I honestly don't have any to clue to your last sentence. These are exactly the situations that I wish I tried to learn the language, even a bit.

  Anonymous

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Would you believe it when I say that we have similar, almost the same circumstances in life? :)

I've added you on my blogs exchange already.:)

  Cyril

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yeah…and wouldn’t it have it been better to talk to your son or daughter in a language you feel has roots in your family, right? I think that’s why Filipinos, even in a foreign country would speak tagalog, cebuano, or what have they, because it gives that intimate connection.

thanks for the link and I've added you too already.

  Anonymous

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oh, it's "I'm looking forward for your answer" in mandarin.

  Cyril

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I actually had to call my dad and ask him what you meant after I posted my reply...hehehe. But I might have pronounced it differently because he didn't quite understand what I said. My dad speaks mandarin too.

I think my chinese name is in mandarin also - kim tiong (I think it means golden dagger). Those are the only words I know how to write in Chinese characters, and my surname.